S.M.A.K. is recruiting a Guest Curator
20-09-05 e-flux (servicio de noticias on-line)
S.M.A.K. is the largest museum of contemporary art in Belgium. It is well-known for its dynamic exhibition programme and innovative approach. In parallel with its exhibitions, S.M.A.K. continuously shows a changing selection from its extensive permanent collection.
They are adding two guest curators to our team to work at our arts centre on a project basis for a fixed term of three years. Both curators will be recruited internationally. One curator will be appointed every eighteen months so that the two curators’ assignments overlap.
The first vacancy is now open.
The guest curator’s core task is to develop and implement an exhibition project as an international co-production involving a minimum of two museums abroad, at least one of which is non-European. The initial exhibition must take place in the S.M.A.K.. The project proposal submitted by each candidate will be a factor in the selection procedure.
In addition to this the guest curator will also be involved in the museum’s other exhibition work in order to ensure proper integration with the museum staff. The guest curator will maintain positive contacts with an extensive network in the visual arts, in the broadest sense of the term.
The requirements for candidacy are:
- the submission of a 3-year exhibition project that will be realised at S.M.A.K., in collaboration with at least two other museums
- a good knowledge of the domain of contemporary art
- at least 3 years’ experience in international organisations or projects involving contemporary art
- experience in the organisation of extensive exhibition projects
- excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills
- the willingness to settle in Belgium for the duration of the project
Applications will be accepted until Friday, October 28th, 2005 and must include an exhibition project and an extended curriculum vitae.
Please send your application to vzw S.M.A.K., Mr. Sven Jacobs, Citadelpark, 9000 Ghent, Belgium.
More information about this vacancy can be found on